Welcome to my blog! My name is Dung Tri Ngo (called me Dzung). I am a Vietnamese origin. My background is forestry research and management. Graduated from forestry sector, I soon realised that only research is not enough to help solving diverse and critical issues of forest/nature conservation. Through various activities, I mainly focus on doing research & consultancies, then using knowledge and experience in teaching and helping disadvantaged communities in process of sustainable development. I’m a founding member and currently work as the managing director of the Consultative and Research Center on Natural Resource Management (CORENARM) – a Vietnamese NGO established in 2005 and working for sustainable management of natural resources. I used to work at Institute of Resources and Environment (IREN) and teaching at Hue University of Agriculture & Forestry (HUAF) where I studied my undergraduate in forestry. I completed my MSc (2002) and PhD (2010) both at Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Thailand. Since then, I have made several international exchanges to US, Switzerland, India and most of countries in South & SE Asia.
I’m interested in the interactions among factors of socio-ecological systems, and how they contribute to achieve sustainable natural resource management. I pursue research on two main folders in (i) forest resources with characteristics of tree species, diversity, distribution, landscapes and (ii) management practices on forest conservation carried out by local communities, state-owned forest companies shaped by institutions and policies. Some of my specific interests include sustainability of CFM schemes, analysis of resource user behaviors as outcomes of incentive structure, using forest certification as a market tool for sustainable forest management and economic development. My focus area is mainly the Southeast Asian countries and Mekong Subregion including Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- 2019-present: Executive Director, Consultative and Research Center on Natural Resources Management (CORENARM), Hue City, Vietnam.
- 2012-present: Auditor of GFA Certification on sustainable forest management (FSC FM/CoC) for more than 30 clients (companies, groups) in Vietnam.
- 2016-2018: Researcher, Institute of Resources and Environment (IREN) – Hue University, Vietnam.
- 1999-2016: Lecturer at Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry (HUAF), Vietnam
- 2014-2015: Postdoctoral researcher at Forest Management and Development Group (ForDev), Institute of Terrestrial Ecosystems, ETHZ, Switzerland.
- 2013: Community Solutions Program (CSP Fellow) at Center for Integrated Natural Resource and Agriculture Management (CINRAM), University of Minnesota, USA
- 2007-2009: Senior Forestry Advisor, Netherlands Development Organization (SNV)
- 1998-1999: Project officer, Center for Rural Development (CRD) in Central Vietnam – Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry.
Projects served as Principle Investigators (PI)
- Assessing the nature of a forest transition in Vietnam: ecosystem services and social-ecological resilience in locally managed forest landscapes. R4D research project funded by SDC & SNSF. Research team: Christian Kull, Roland Cochard (Switzerland); Ngo Tri Dung and Tran Nam Thang (Vietnam). (2017-2022)
- Promoting the Participation of the Central Vietnam VNGO–FLEGT Network in the VPA–FLEGT processess. EU funded project to ICCO, CRD and CORENARM (2014-2017).
- Evaluation of Payment for Forest Environmental Service in Vietnam: perspectives of conservation and livelihood of local communities. Project funded by Oxfam Britain to Forest land network (FORLAND), Vietnam (2015) co-PI
- Local livelihood improvement through sustainable land use system at Phu Mau village, Nam Dong district”, project funded by IUCN Netherlands through Ecosystem Grant Program (2008-2010)
- Development project “Improving management of forest allocated to local people in Nam Dong district, Thua Thien Hue province, Vietnam”. Project funded by Ford Foundation Hanoi Office (2006-2008)
- Development, Land Use Change, and Forest Conservation in Thua Thien Hue Province, Vietnam (MacArthur Foundation, 2003-2009). See Book 1 and Book 2 as results of this project.
- Collaboration among Stakeholders for Adjustment of Forest Policies to International Framework to Reduce CO2 Emission. Lead: Makoto Inoue, University of Tokyo. Partners: Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, and Myanmar. Toyota Foundation, 2016-2018, Project Ref.: D16-N-0013)
- Bridging policy practice gap in the effective implementation of REDD+ programs in SE Asia: Collaborative learning among Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam (Toyota Foundation, 2013-2014, Project Ref.: D13-N-0140)
- Community based forestry and livelihoods in the context of climate change adaptation (Asia Pacific Network for Global Change Research – APN funded to Vietnam, Thailand, Nepal, 2009-2011, Project Ref.: ARCP2011-04CMY-Paudel)